ROBERT ROSS Robert Ross is a two-time winner of the coveted New York Music Award for Best Blues Artist. Ross won his first New York Music Award
Robert’s 2004 CD “What Are We Fighting For?” was released on Fountainbleu Records. The 4 song CD was a mix of original gospel, blues, folk and rock tunes that examined democracy, nationalism, freedom, security, corporate greed, and war. The politically charged lyrics were a bit of a departure for Ross who is primarily known for blues.
In March of 2002, Fountainbleu Records released “Sleight of Hand” which showcased the best material from two previous Ross recordings. The CD was re-mastered by Dennis Ferrante (Elvis, Aerosmith, John Lennon). Guitar World called “Sleight of Hand an excellent new CD.” Blues societies and radio stations in dozens of cities around the country loved it too.
• Ross has won two NY Music Awards (1989 & 2011) and has been nominated 7 times for Best Blues Artist, and Best Live Blues Artist alongside some of the greatest legends in the business including Johnny Copeland, John Hammond Jr., Taj Mahal, Mose Allison, and Cindi Lauper.
• Ross is a very dynamic singer & performer who plays a vast repertoire of blues, jazz, standards, rock ‘n’ roll, soul, New Orleans gumbo, and other roots music.
• Ross is a very talented multi-instrumentalist who plays electric guitar, slide guitar, acoustic guitar, and harmonica.
• Ross is a terrific songwriter who has written for Johnny Winter, The City Boys (with Bones Malone, Blue Lou Marini & Lew Soloff); Johnny Seaton (with Danny Gatton) and the ABC daytime drama “All My Children“.
• Ross worked and/or recorded with blues legends: Big Joe Turner, John Lee Hooker, Dr. John, Victoria Spivey, Lightnin’ Hopkins, Big Mama Thornton, Memphis Slim, Pinetop Perkins, Otis Rush, Brownie McGhee, Linda Hopkins, J.B. Hutto, Eddie Kirkland, Louisiana Red, Floyd Jones, Homesick James, Sunnyland Slim, and many others.
• Ross was inducted in the NY Blues Shall Of Fame in 2011.
• Ross is the subject of a 22 minute film produced by Liam J. Holland entitled, “Raw Blues: The Series Featuring Robert Ross”.
TWO QUOTES TO REMEMBER
Bill Carlton (NY Daily News) wrote: “Robert Ross is a fine singer, a snappy lyricist, and an even better blues rock guitarist … cut from the same cloth as B.B. King, Muddy Waters, and Johnny Winter … dazzling guitar …Time after time Ross delivers the goods.”
Bob Fass (Radio Un-nameable, WBAI-FM Pacifica Network) said: “(Robert Ross) is a blues icon. One of the great blues spirits.
At the Robert Ross Band website you can find audio, video, a full bio, photos, and more.
6 (Friday) 8:00 pm